Friday, February 13, 2009

simple eye glass case

We had our Valentines Dinner early - last night. I know Saturdays tend to get busy around here and it worked out with my husband's schedule for that night. We had steak, potatoes, sliced strawberries, tomato basil soup, and cherry lime-ades. I let the kids decorate sugar cookies for dessert. Nothing fancy, just fun. I was wrapping the little gifts I had for my kids that afternoon and realized that we had invited my mother in law and I didn't have anything for her. So, I found a project that I was going to make her for Christmas, but had to skip because of time.



If you are interested in the basic directions, keep reading, otherwise - I hope your Valentines Day is amazing tomorrow!

4 pieces of fabric 5" wide by 7 1/2" tall - 2 for the lining and 2 for the outside
2 pieces of batting 5" wide by 7 1/2" tall
1 piece of twill tape
fabric ink pen and stamps
ric rac or any other embellishments
I used a 1/2" seam on all seams

1. I took a small piece of twill tape and stamped "glasses" with fabric ink and attached to the piece of fabric I was using for the front.
2. I sandwiched the two lining fabrics and batting together - right sides (it went batting, fabric, fabric, batting)- and sewed around 3 sides (leaving the top open), clipped the corners and turned it right side out. So, I had the lining fabric on the outsides with the batting inside.
3. I sewed around the 3 sides of the outside fabric - leaving it inside out. I also clipped the corners here too.
4. I then placed the lining inside the outside sewn pieces so the the right sides were touching.
5. I sewed around the top leaving a turning space that allowed me to pull the fabrics through - about 2 inches.
6. Once through, I stuffed the lining back in to the outside and pressed the opening closed.
7. Finally, I sewed around the top with a 1/4 inch top stitch.

It's just like making a mini tote bag without any handles. If you have made a tote, this will be simple for you, but if not I will explain it in more detail if you want - just contact me!

1 comment:

blairsblog6 said...

I ran into the library to make copies before sacrament and saw this exact glasses case on the counter! "Hey, where did you get this?" I quickly asked the librarian, Betty? "My sweet daughter-in-law!" I told her I had seen the case on your blog and that I loved your blog and wanted to be your friend:) She's a sweetie and it was a fun way to start our Sunday!