Saturday, August 15, 2009

from shirt to tote





My neighbor is very kind and gives my boys her son's clothes when he grows out of them. They are usually very nice, but when it comes to my 7 year old, if it isn't a pair of "slick shorts" (basketball shorts) or a t-shirt, he's not interested. She gave me this nice denim Gap shirt which I knew I would not be able to get the boys to wear, so it was going in to the future sewing projects pile. With my nieces birthday coming up, it made great fabric for a new tote. I made handles for it similar to those from the Simple Tote in the bend-the-rules Sewing book by Amy Karol. But, I just made up the dimensions and added the apple applique to cover up the Gap logo on the front. I think I will fill it up with a sketch pad and put pencils in the pockets on the front.  That ought to keep a 6 year old happy. Right?

11 comments:

Donna S. said...

I would definitely say so! Very cute.

Eglentyne said...

Very cute! I just made a messenger bag for a six-year-old girl (though mine is not such a clever upcycle) and was thinking of a notebook and maybe a book to read. Thanks for sharing. :)

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Love it!!!! My daughter is 9 and she would love it for sure!!! Too cute!

Lee said...

Oh Man this is adorable!! Way cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

Marjorie said...

Cute! Love the pink with the denim:)

Jenette said...

That is super cute!

Jennwith4 said...

Very Cute! I just repurposed some denim jeans into a skirt for my daughter but I have another pair I need to do something with and this would be great!

Beck said...

Gorgeous. Reminds me of the craze in the early 80's to make bags out of old jeans. I love the idea of giving something a new life. The sketch pad and pencils is a great idea too xo

Anonymous said...

Cute! I always think I'm going to do projects like this but my pile of clothing to repurpose just grows. So glad somebody actually gets it done, and so well too!!! I hope your niece appreciates her auntie!

Very Shannon said...

Very cute! Great idea!

Elisabeth said...

I just wanted to let you know that I have made a bunch of onesies from your patterns and I love them! I've had so much fun making them and they are the perfect home made gift being quick and easy to make as they are. Thanks for the great ideas!

Elisabeth