Thursday, August 27, 2009

french ruffle dress




I keep putting off the birdie sling (not to sure why) to try some projects I have wanted to do for awhile. I bought a red sheet on clearance the other day for $2 that I had slated for lounge pants, but when I picked up the pattern for the french ruffle dress again, I thought it would be great to try it with an inexpensive sheet first to make sure I got the fit right for my 2 year old. I had heard from someone that it runs small, so I cut out the 4T. I knew that it would be okay if it was too big, but not okay if it was too small. It fits perfectly and this dress is great for a beginner sewer. I know you might not believe me, but I am still a beginner. I don't attempt too many projects that require more than an elastic casing, a hem, and maybe a ruffle. I would like to think it's because I really do enjoy a quick project, but I am sure there are a few fears mixed in there as well. All in due time. This dress will be a great little Christmas dress (just 4 months early!) and now I am going to make it in brown cord with a different color ruffle. You could make so many variations. But, just remember it does run a bit small.

9 comments:

Jennwith4 said...

Cute dress! I love how you used the clearance sheet!

Gretchen said...

I'm so glad you posted this because I recently bought this pattern and wouldn't have known to go bigger (and wouldn't have been as smart as you to test it on cheap fabric first!). I'm nervous because I'm half way through one of her other patterns which will be a gift for my niece and now I'm not sure it will fit... Do you know if there is a message board or Flickr group for her patterns?

Julie said...

Do you ever stop? Well, you remind me of me in the project department, so what can I say. Mallory is the best dressed girl on the block and you know, it takes a little girl to sew for in order to refine your sewing skills. Keep up the good work, honey.

Anonymous said...

So darling! I want this dress...but for me! It will look so sophisticated in cord. You are very inspiring with your tirelessness! Maybe I should hop on my machine tonight. I have been thinking about making an aline skirt with pockets for the fall.

dana said...

very fun! I can't remember....is this for you or Mallory? Would be cute on either of you!

Julie said...

It looks really cute! I would love to see it on the little one. My daughter is 2 as well.

Jess said...

I LOVE it... the ruffles are adorable, and the button in the back is perfect!

Paige said...

What a sweet little dress! Nice job.

Playing Sublimely said...

You are an amazing Mae :)! So nice to meet you!