Monday, March 30, 2009

from goodwill to her closet






My mother in law brought me this Eddie Bauer shirt from Goodwill because she loved the color. I loved the color too..for my daughter instead of me. I, of course, forgot to take a before photo. I just jump in when I start a project and don't think it through too much. I did find a similar shirt for sale here that it looked like. It was a women's short sleeve button up shirt with darts in the back. I cut it out of the same pattern I always use -Simplicity 5695. With this pattern, I use view D and just lengthen it by about 3 to 4 inches and exclude adding on the bottom ruffle. All Simplicity patterns are on sale this week at Hobby Lobby for $1.99. Or if you don't want to buy a pattern, here is a tutorial for a child's peasant blouse at the Just Tutes blog. You can easily lengthen it in to a dress. Okay, I fold the strip with the buttons right down the middle and pin and press. That way it will be centered when I place the pattern piece on it. I just make sure that I leave about 1 to 1 1/2 inches above the top button for the neckline casing. For the sleeves, when using a man's shirt, there is plenty of extra fabric for these, but in this case, I didn't have enough, so, that's where I brought in this Alexander Henry pear and apple fabric. I thought it matched nicely. The jury is still out on the pocket. Ideally, I would have liked a not so neon polka dot fabric, but I was working on this Saturday night and just used something I had. I still might unpick it and take it off. I also cut out a few of the apples and pears for applique on the bottom of the dress. I now have 3 more shirts (men's madras plaids) for future dresses waiting to be cut. I am thinking that she will be wearing dresses all spring and summer long. It's nice to think that I won't have to buy any shorts or other clothing to get us through the next few seasons. Now if I can just find some inexpensive leggings. I found some at WalMart (Geranimals brand) and they stopped carrying them. I can't bring myself to pay $10 for something that is just an "extra." So, if you see any in size 2T/3T, let me know!

6 comments:

dana said...

Oh wow! I'm loving it! What fun bright colors! And thank you for explaining exactly how to do it. Someone asked me how to make the sleeves and I didn't have the patience to explain it. Now I'll just link them to you :).
I like the neon pocket. Looks super fun and summery.

Kristin said...

Adorable - now I'm off to rummage through our closet for a shirt!

koala brains said...

So cute. I can't wait to make one. Love the applique at the bottom. Leggings - how about making your own? I used this... http://www.butterick.com/item/B5020.htm I recycled a tee of mine to make one. I blogged about it here:

http://koalabrains.blogspot.com/2008/09/shirt-recon-leggings.html

and

http://koalabrains.blogspot.com/2008/10/earth-tone-hoody-for-boo.html

Bobi... said...

I don't have girls to make a dress for (3 boys), but I wish I did because I love this idea. I would totally leave the green pocket- so cute and funky! Love It!

Tracie said...

Too cute!!!!

SkiptomyLou said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! It is just so great!

Cindy
www.skiptomylou.org