Saturday, January 16, 2010

sweet baby girl blanket





I made another rag time quilt for my friend's baby girl. I made it a bit larger than the one I made here this summer. I made each strip 36 inches long and anywhere from 3" to 8" wide. The strips on the side are only 3 inches wide. When I helped my mother in law clean out her house in November, she gave me a lot of her fabric so that is where I got the floral flannel, light pink flannel, pink chambray and the warm and natural batting. The pink corduroy came from Wal Mart for only 2.50/yard. The pink floral cotton is Moda's Fruit Cocktail by Chloe's Closet and the stripe is Moda's Bias Stripe by Sandy Gervais (which reminds me of Fruit Stripes Gum). These quilts are fairly easy to make. The tool that I would recommend the most when making a rag time quilt is Fiskars #7 Utility Cutter. It is spring loaded which helps making all the little snips very quick in the blanket. I've heard these are good too.

12 comments:

Darla said...

I love this! Rag quilts are so much fun. They're so comfy and informal, like the difference between play clothes and church clothes. I need to try those utility cutters. I have the micro-tip scissors in the second link, and I have to say that they're not very powerful. The pair I have gets cranky about cutting multiple layers of flannel and there's no way they'd do anything like denim. They are fantastic, I repeat, fantastic, though, for notching and clipping curves in lighter fabrics.

Anna said...

so pretty! Looks so cozy and cuddly.

chris said...

Traci, this turned out so nice. I'm sure your friend will love it. More than that, this is the kind of quilt that a child will love for a really long time. I know my kiddos still use their "baby" quilts to snuggle in, build forts with etc.

Julie said...

So sweet-I'm sure it looks and feels wonderful. Good job.

Jenny Ann said...

Super cute! The patterns are adorable. I love rag quilts and the good thing is they are easy. The hardest part is cutting all the edges :) It looks beautiful!

Terry said...

Beautiful! I usually do squares for rag quilts, but I love the long strips! I can't wait to try it myself. Thanks for sharing. :)

Jen said...

Traci - it turned out BEAUTIFUL! I kept adoring it. I think I might have to make one for my big girl, but I know the baby girl getting it will love it. It was so very cute!

Karyn said...

Ohh that is really pretty - those fabrics are gorgeous ♥

Anonymous said...

you might inspire me to try quilting yet--it is one of my few untried crafts, but this quilt has that unfussy quality I like and i think my new neice might need a new blankie.

Very Shannon said...

Looks gorgeous! I love this! Good job!

teeny said...

i found your site again!!! yahoo! i found your site one day and saw the quilt and thought "how cute"! then i couldn't remember the name of your blog. so i had to just remember how you did it and i made one this week. it turned out really cute! thanks so much!

kim said...

this is adorable, love your fabric choices...great job!