Tuesday, April 14, 2009

did you know i have boys too?

I will admit, I generally (always) sew and craft around the youngest - our little girl. But, I do have boys and I am constantly trying to find things I can make for them that they will truly like. They have many pairs of pj bottoms, pj shorts, and t-shirts that we have made. But, I am still on the look out for things a 10 year old, a 7 year old, and a 4 year old will wear or use. Let me know if you have any of those projects. I do care for them as much as I do for Mallory, but I will admit that I have really enjoyed sewing for Mallory much more. Dresses and dolls are fun to make. But, I know that I will find some projects for those boys soon. I thought I would share a few photos of them from our egg dying on Saturday. The oldest is trying to grow up fast and thinks he is a bit old for these sorts of traditions, but I am not letting him out of them for as long as I can. You have to let them feel young for as long as possible because growing up does come quickly and you can't go back. So, here are a few photos of Trevor, Boston, and Gage - my boys.







And, here is what the youngest looked like by the end of the day after she had raided the candy in her basket. The Easter Bunny was kind enough to bring her that Dora hat!

11 comments:

Ashlee said...

I struggle with making my boy things as well. Many times I feel guilty that my little girl's closet is full of "Mama Mades" and he has a drawer full of pajama pants.

So, for easter, the bunny got busy on an applique t-shirt of a guitar. He loves it and calls it his "I Rock" shirt!

I'll be posting about it tomorrow!

Lettie B. said...

I only have boys and am always jealous when people get to sew much for their little girls. I look forward to seeing the ideas suggested!

T@iy@ said...

... and what handsome boys they are, also. :) I have a little girl(our only, so far), but I have a lot of friends with boys, and I have the hardest time finding things I can make for them!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Here is a tutorial for a hat for a boy. I made one for my son. It turned out great!
http://mushroomvillagers.wordpress.com/the-eddie-cap-tutorial/

liz @ longview builders said...

Your post made me smile. I have 2 boys (9&7) and a little girl who is 2. I sew for her all the time because it is so fun and the fabric choices are endless. I try to make some things for my boys as well, but the selection is not as big. I have made them in the past applique tees, knock off ugly dolls ( a big hit) pillow cases, little bags that have a loop and a caribeaner and they hook them onto their belt loops and put their treasures in them. My middle son came up with that one and they both love them. And also a teepee for the backyard.
That's all I can remember for now!

Melinda said...

Ottobre Design magazine has gorgeous and trendy boys (and girls) clothes patterns in it. (www.ottobredesign.com). The patterns have all the trendy little extras that storebought clothes have but aren't ever included in commercial patterns.

dana said...

Traci,
All of your boys are adorable. you make cute kids! I'm glad you're not letting the grow up too fast. And looks like you had a great Easter! Hilarious with the Dora hat. I've made it this far without having to buy Lucy any clothing with TV characters or princesses on it. We'll see if I can stretch that out even longer :).

Bobi... said...

It is so hard to find things to make for boys(that they will actually like!) Right now I am collecting fabrics with their favortie things on them. When I have collected enough, I am going to make each of them a "My favorite things" quilt for their beds. They are really excited about it.
Looking forward to some new ideas.

koala brains said...

You are AMAZING - all the crafting you do with 4 children??? I'm in awe...

Wendi said...

I really like the looks of the bandana shorts here:http://blueyonder.typepad.com
(Look on her sidebar for a link to a photo tutorial.) I haven't made any yet, but they look so perfectly 'boy' to me!

Chrissy said...

I always have the toughest time too coming up with ideas for my boys...recently I made a camo messenger bag, complete with an ammo strip on the strap. I don't have a tutorial for it, but there are plenty out there. Also, zippered coin pouches (I'm not allowed to call them purses!) Happy Sewing!