Wednesday, April 29, 2009

i'm trying so hard




I over purchased just a bit on fabric, craft supplies and even thrifting over the winter.  Can you ever thrift too much?  Well, I did.  I would go in for just one thing and then end up with way more. So, my new spring resolution has me just using what I have.  It started with the shirt dresses and now I am trying to do it with many more projects.   I found this half cut pillow case (I'm not sure what I did with the top half) in my garbage bag (where I keep all my scraps) and saw a skirt.  Now, I didn't want to make it to fit the girl now since I think she is all set for a bit, but I did want something to grow in to.  I think this skirt will fit her when she is about 4, perhaps 5.  A little bit of a long wait, but worth it.  I just gathered the top of the skirt with a long running stitch and attached the top waist band to the gathered top.  I made the elastic a bit loose, so I can readjust it when she does get older and perhaps is a bit smaller than I anticipated.  That was easier than kicking myself for making it too small.  And, as usual, I added a small applique of a bird.  Necessary?  You decide!

14 comments:

dana said...

I totally hear ya. I went in to Goodwill for another shirt and walked out with $30 worth of stuff! But a few items are things I'm going to refashion for myself. (something I need to be better at).
Great job using your stuff up! I love that pink color. Reminds me of cotton candy.

Tracie said...

Very cute!!!!

koala brains said...

You are so good at putting together an applique! I like how the top part has a different fabric. Nice addition of the ric rac - I did the same thing to a skirt for Boo(learned from a link you posted before.

Ariane said...

Love the skirt!! Very cute!!

Jenni said...

Turned out super cute, I love the wide hem from the pillow!

Andrea said...

love the bird!

Stacey said...

Love the ric rac at the bottom...very cute!

Carla G. said...

Yes! I think the bird was totally necessary. Your idea to turn half of a pillowcase into a skirt was brilliant! Great job! I love your work! Carla G.

Anonymous said...

I also agree the bird was totally necessary! That skirt is darling!! Love your work!

Megin, Ind. AVON Representative said...

I've awarded you a BLOGGER FRIENDSHIP FRIDAY AWARD for all that you do to give back and support! come check it out! http://www.penguinwareboutique.blogspot.com

Chrisy said...

The applique is perfect...and know what you mean about being able to do too much thrifting...lordy every cupboard is full!

goodtidings said...

hahaha
just can't help but laugh! about the cupboards being full etc, my old van is full and the Lord only knows what of!!! That not all that full I really want to reorganize declutter and do those projects that were once in my head. YOu simply have hit it on the nail to use what you have ,be happy with it add to it and Smile. Yes God did make Woman in His IMAGE , So CREATIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh your to update you I bought a brother for my daughter totaly impress me with it features IT EVEN HAS A DROP IN BOBBIN!!! aDDED ATTACHEMENTS AND ONLY COST $99. i WANT TO MAKE MY CURTIANS WITH IT B 4 i GIVE IT TO HER BUT i KNOW THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN GRADUATION IS THIS
Saturday and I have tons of stuff to do and with 2 12hr work days and only one more day off,so why am I chatting,ha go figure. NOPE it will not happen, the curtian will be make on my old machine.Sob

GloJoeSews said...

This is my first time at your blog, and WOW, you really are amazing! I love, love the dad shirts made into dresses, the cute tops, and the bandana skirt. You're really talented and it's so wonderful that you reuse fabrics. I'm inspired!

Bianca said...

That little bird is gorgeous!! Love your blog ;)