Tuesday, April 7, 2009

my machine is taking a break




I found this pattern in my stash and I decided to try out this past weekend. It is Simplicity 5118 and I made view C. I had some vintage strawberry fabric that my mother in law gave me (she has so many treasures that she give to me). I paired it with this white with black polka dot fabric. I didn't want to add the flounce on the bottom (and left out the ties on the back as well) so I just added another band of the white and black fabric. I love it because it had a nice peasant style fit plus it took so little fabric. So, I decided to cut out two more so she could have a few for the summer to wear with capris. I used a vintage sheet, some sear sucker from a friend, and a few other scraps to make two more shirts. When I was at the very end of enclosing the neck casing on both of them, my machine kind of decided it was on vacation. I get it...I have used it way too much and I am not always that nice to it. It just involves a loose screw and a spring that I am pretty sure my husband can figure out, but it amazing how weird I feel knowing it can't be used. I will post the other two tomorrow when I finish the neck casing. I am counting on sun tomorrow too.

*I took so long writing this - I got the kids in bed in the mean time - that my wonderful husband has already fixed my sewing machine. Hurray!

16 comments:

dana said...

Oh Traci, this is so precious. I love that strawberry fabric! What a perfect use for it! Really really cute. Though I'm sad your machine is taking a break. boooo.

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bry and Rach said...

Very cute! Turned out great! glad your machine is fixed!

the 6 o'clock stitch said...

Absolutely precious. I LOVE those strawberries!

Shannon said...

Too cute! I love this shirt and the material looks great in that pattern.
Thanks for the comment on the dress I made, I think it turned out ok for a beginner sewer...haha.

Very Shannon said...

I can't seem to find an email address for you on here and noticed you have my button up! You are the best! I have a special button for you though that says "featured on luvinthemommyhood". Send me an email with your addy and I will send the code off to you. Thanks again - you made my day :)

Bianca said...

I have no words - This is just so sweet!! That strawberry fabric is to.die.for. You have such *amazing* vision with sewing patterns. (okay, maybe I was able to get a few words out).

Missy said...

This simply to perfect! I love all the touches you added to the pattern. So glad that your machine is fixed!

Autumn said...

Hooray for your hero hubby! They love helping their wives "in need".

Cute, cute, cute shirt. The strawberries are fantastic.

mamaTAVE said...

Awesome fabric. I would have loved to make that for my daughter to wear to her "strawberry brownie" birthday party this year! JoAnn's is having Simplicity patterns on sale this weekend, so I think I will run over and get this one. Cute.

Jenni said...

Traci-SerIOUSLY ADORABLE!...can't wait to see the other two. Glad your machine is fixed!

EveryGoodGift said...

I love the Shirt. Can't wait to see the others. I know what you mean about your sewing machine. When mine seems to be having an issue, I feel so cut off. I even have 2, one is a Bernina (LOVE) and the other a Singer (LIKE). I only use the Singer when I HAVE to.

Johanna said...

Oooh, that shirt is so sweet! I've been looking for good shirt patterns, but it's so tedious to go through the books (when there is a toddler on my lap!). I'll add this pattern to the list of ones (that are tried and true) to buy.

I can't wait to see versions 2 and 3.

Jodie said...

OOOOOh that shirt is so adorable, but then everything you make is:)

I've given you a blog award :) You can read about it here:
http://jodiedavidson.blogspot.com/2009/04/well-this-was-surprise.html

koala brains said...

Love the fabric and the addition of the band. CUTE!!!!

Caitlin said...

I wish I was 2 and my name was Mallory. She has the BEST wardrobe-thanks to you! You are so creative.