Thursday, May 28, 2009

linen shirt to play outfit

The "before" shirt



Don't mind the stain on the shorts - I took this after she wore them!

I am still loving this shorts pattern - the waistband and the added buttons especially


Someone had said on their blog that they feel like the outfit they made out of curtains (or was it a tablecloth?) made them feel a little like Julie Andrews in "The Sound of Music." This outfit may be one of those. Although it was a women's linen shirt first and not curtains, but it did make for a nice play outfit. This shirt had plenty of fabric for almost the entire outfit. I just needed a bit to lengthen and for the front bodice. I actually had enough for the front bodice, but since it needed a band for length, I decided to use the same tan fabric on the bodice as the band so it didn't look too out of place. I used this pattern (Simplicity 5118) for the top (again) and the same shorts that I have been sewing up here and here (Butterick B4118). They are getting so quick to sew. And, thanks to a friend, I have had many clothes to work with for all this repurposing!

19 comments:

Courtney said...

everyday you post something I get so jealous!! I wish i was half as talented as you. My mother can sew and makes quilts and I cant even use a needle! One day hopefully!

dana said...

CUTE Traci!
I love what you're doing with all those shorts. Makes me want to tackle some. Cute addition of other fabric mixed in. And I love the fine touches....like the sleeve cuff gathering right on the red lines of the fabric. Brilliant.

Waldeck Dry Goods said...

Looks great! I love it.

KID, MD said...

So cute!! I love the fabrics. They look great together. I love that short pattern. Alas, it's out of print.

RebeccaMom said...

absolutely adorable!

Ariane said...

I love this little outfit. So cute!! You have such great ideas. Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

That is SOOOO cute! xx

Bea said...

What a cute outfit. Love it.

Anonymous said...

How adorable! And the outfit is pretty great too. Impressed!

koala brains said...

Very cute! Love the addition of khaki.

Julie said...

So cute-better than what's in the stores. I will clean out my closet and give you some shirts when you come and visit.

VSJensen said...

what a great outfit! I just discovered your blog, I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Celia said...

It was a pretty shirt and now it's a great outfit! lol...

Anonymous said...

Hi Traci...

I have tried everywhere to get this pattern Simplicity 5118 and I can't find it anywhere :(
Any suggestions?

Hannah
x

amy said...

This is adorable.... my favorite so far:) Fun blog.... btw.

GloJoeSews said...

omg--how beautiful is that! You should be creating and selling these on etsy. you'd make a mint! First, the adorableness (is that really a word) factor and the upcycling factor. just lovely.

Cheryl said...

You make sewing an entire outfit out of a shirt seem effortless. And I know it's NOT.

Love the outfit. How fun that your cutie pie will always know how much her Momma loved her by making her so many darling outfits!

Her hair is SO long. She's growing right up!

Sew Can Do said...

Super cute! I did something similar with my husband's sherpa sweatshirt a while back:

http://sewcando.blogspot.com/2009/01/recycling-never-felt-so-good.html

Makes me want to go through my "recycle" pile and whip some stuff up!

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

adorable outfit! the thought of making clothes out of other items, like curtains, makes me think of when giselle, from Enchanted makes her dress out the curtains...another julie andrews moment i guess.