Wednesday, February 23, 2011

she loves pigs

She loves them because they are pink (I think). She has about 3 or 4 stuffed pigs that she carries around and puts in bed with her at night. They are named piggy, cotton candy, taffy and one is even named Traci Underwood after moi (lucky me!). Whenever I ask her what she wants me to put on a shirt for her, she says, "a pig." I laugh and go on and add a bird, a cat, or a something else that is not a pig. I didn't think that she was serious about having a pig shirt, but after having her ask me to make one for almost a year, I decided it was time to give her "the pig shirt" she had dreamed of...
Don't tell, but she wore it for two days straight just so that she could wear it to preschool on the second day. It made me feel good that she liked it that much.
I tried to put the snout up high enough to make room for a mouth, but she said her pig didn't have a mouth because, "pigs don't talk mom." Then she said they "oink" out of their noses. She said she just wanted a bow on the top of the pig's head so that she would look like a girl pig. So, pigs don't talk, but they wear hair bows? I appliqued the pig face and snout on using my usual method - wonder under (or Heat n' Bond) and stitching around the fabric for securing it and adding detail. I used dots of fabric paint for the nostrils on the snout and for the eyes.

8 comments:

chris said...

Sometimes you just have to give them what they want...especially when that pig is so adorable.

Marla said...

I think it is just adorable...and I love the names she had for her pets! Do you ever put your shirts on etsy??? They are so precious!

Julie said...

So cute! I love it. I often wonder where my 4yr old daughter's obsessions come from, too. I'll have to make one for my pink loving girl.

Bianca said...

She must be an Olivia fan then. Just too cute!! I'm going to have to have you make me some appliqué things - you're just so good!

Wendy said...

So cute! And she's right - pigs don't talk! My 2-year old goddaughter also likes pigs, I made her a piggy applique t-shirt back in September.

Tanya said...

Cute pattern, Traci! I love pink bow-wearing non-talking pigs too. Oink oink!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

You should tell her that you are making a boy pig and see if she still wants it to be pink :-)...She could name that pig Zane Underwood *wink*

Cheryl said...

LOVE!! That little girl is a hoot. So cute that she has a love for her piggies. My girls adore Olivia and like you said, pigs are pink.

I am, as always, in AWE of your appliques. You are a genius. You should sketch out all your ideas and make a book. It'd be a best seller and sell millions. I'd buy it for sure!