Tuesday, March 4, 2008

sew easy - i don't think so



I have come to realize that the art of sewing isn't really in the fabric selection or pattern selection. It is not even in the dreaming up a something really beautiful. It is in following a straight line and making sure you are catching the right fabrics along the way. When I think of sewing, I think of all the creative, wonderful things you can make. But, what I didn't realize is that it takes a brain that likes to follow directions (me- not so much) to have a project turn out nice. Exhibit A - this dress. I loved the pattern and the fabric and the pattern said, "Sew Easy." Yeah, so easy for some people. They put a zipper in it, teeny tiny bias tape for the arm holes, millions of ruffles, and facing. That's not what I would consider easy. Fabric bags - now those are easy. Curtains - easy. You sew seems and long straight lines. But, after all of this, I did enjoy the challenge of doing something I had never done before - like the zipper. I was always so scared of those. Turns out my machine has a zipper foot and it was pretty easy once I read the directions. Okay, for all you seamstresses out there, this would be easy, but for me it was an accomplishment and for that - I am glad it is over and am ready to start the next "sew easy" project and I think I will take baby steps to the advanced sewing stage!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Love it & love the ruffle--it wouldn't be the same without it.

Also--LOVE LOVE the photo of miss m in the header.

yes--I do know other words besides Love--sorry

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Oh it is PERFECT!! it looks so awesome! the zipper looks perfect... mine are always crooked.
now the next one will be easier...I love making dresses it's addictive!
m-

~jen said...

sew cute! Love the fabric and girls dresses just need ruffles! I think you did a great job! (I hate zippers because mine always seem to end up a bit wonky) Girls are super fun to make dresses for-this is just the beginning!