Thursday, April 26, 2012

jams for a teenage boy

I know I could easily buy a pair of athletic shorts for my thirteen year old to wear to bed. And, I have in the past. But, I just wanted to see if I could make something that he would wear. Jams seemed to be the best bet since a.) he would be wearing them in the house and b.) he needed some and c.) i thought I had the perfect fabric for them.
I turned back to my past standard for pj fabric...old sheets.  I still have quite a few of these.  I used to shop for them at garage sales and flee markets.  I also inherited quite a few when my mother in law was down sizing a few years ago. 
I chose a simple adult pj pattern and used an adult small.  I can't believe I am sewing an adult size for this guy that used to be so little.  He went from a size 12 to a 16 without ever touching the 14.  As you know, pj bottoms sew up under an hour.  So, I was able to sew two pairs in a day.
End result - he really does wear them and like them.  It's been about three weeks since I made them for him and he switches back and forth between the two pairs.  So, ultimately I was able to find something that I can still sew for a teenage boy and he will actually wear or use.  Now, on to figuring out what I can make for him next with the same results.

1 comment:

chris said...

I'm in the same boat with my 11 yr old boy. If you figure out other things to make...I'll be glad to know what you discover. :)