Monday, May 5, 2008

the joy of waffle cones


Do you know what I can smell right now? Hmmmmm....fresh baked waffle cones. Oh, and does it smell good. I needed to whip some up for a friend and this time I made a few extra for my guys. Sometimes I don't and all that they are left with is the lingering smell and no cone. Cruel. My mom and dad gave us this Chef Mate Waffle Cone Iron for Christmas one year and I didn't realize what a treat I was given until we made our first batch of cones. Later, when I would bring them to friends with a gallon of ice cream, I also realized what a gift maker I had as well. So yummy. The waffle iron comes with booklet of different cone recipes. I have a great cone recipe that doesn't require a waffle cone maker (except for you playing the part!) that will do until you have an iron of your own.

Ice Cream Cones
2/3 cup sugar
3 egg whites
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup melted butter

Heat the oven to 400 degrees (350 if you are using a dark coated baking sheet). In a medium sized bowl, beat the sugar and egg whites with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Mix in the flour until smooth, then add the vanilla extract and melted butter. For each cone, scoop 2 1/2 Tbs. of batter onto a baking sheet, spreading the batter into thin 6-inch circles (usa a measuring spoon for accuracy). Bake for 7to 8 minutes or until golden, then remove the sheet from the oven. Working quickly, form each cookie into a cone, pinching the tip to seal it tightly. Allow the cones to cool seam side down. If a cookie begins to cool and is difficult to shape, return it to the oven briefly to soften it.

*Tip* - Put a mini marshmellow at the bottom of the cone to prevent melted ice cream from leaking out the bottom.

No comments: